Meteorite hit my client...ideas on preserving?

Post here for late breaking and urgent announcements. Posts here will be forwarded to the London RASC mailing list.
Peter Jedicke
Member Name: Peter Jedicke

Re: Meteorite hit my client...ideas on preserving?

Post by Peter Jedicke » May 29th, 2018, 8:08 am

I'd like to hear more of the circumstances of a person being hit in the knee by a meteorite. It's more likely to be a hoax or a joke because if the odds were 3200 to 1, we'd have 100 survivors in London alone. I've heard a few supposedly-reliable stories of persons nearby to a witnessed fall.
Peter Jedicke, FRASC
London Centre Honorary President (1996-)

"The very idea of the power and the right of the people to establish government presupposes the duty of every individual to obey the established government." (George Washington)

HenryL
Member Name: Henry Leparskas

Post by HenryL » May 29th, 2018, 10:39 pm

Peter, I suspect that this was a misunderstanding, perhaps a rock thrown from next door. Heck we used to have rock fights in our neighbourhood. I got smacked right in the front teeth!

Hey, by chance, I found out about the Benld, Illinois, 1938 meteorite yesterday. It makes Peekskill, 1992 a little less unique, but both are highly interesting.

https://meteorites.asu.edu/meteorites/benld

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... isplay.jpg

Charlie M
Member Name: Charlie Moher

Post by Charlie M » May 29th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Maybe he meant he got hit in the knee by a Mennonite in a drive-by shunning.

Ryan
Member Name: Ryan Fraser

Post by Ryan » June 8th, 2018, 8:21 pm

Here is the latest:

"And I didn't get to tell you the whole story about how Dr. Phil McCausland came from Western University to review it and it turned out not to be a meteorite but some kind of volcanic rock

We did see 3 different types of meteorites that he brought over to show us, including one super cool found in Argentina and one from Namibia"

So, too bad for astro science interest that it wasn't a meteor, but still pretty amazing that a *hot* volcanic rock fell and hit the kiddo here in London....add it to the weird and whacky things that happen on a daily basis. ON the bright side, I think we have an 8 year old with a budding interest in science now :)

R

DaveMcCarter
Member Name: David McCarter

Post by DaveMcCarter » June 8th, 2018, 10:27 pm

Over the years I have heard several tall tails about mateors. One fellow claimed that he saw a meteorite fly flaiming over his house and it landed on the street. He picked it up and it was still hot. He showed me, and it was a piece of Sudbury slag with a bit of road tar on it. He didn't accept that version at all well. Another older man claimed that a meteor landed in his back yard and left a hole. It was a piece of ore, mostly nickle, and very terestrial.

I don't know why people seek fame and fortune through meteorites, but they do. The mystery of things falling from space I suppose.

Dave

Charlie M

Post by Charlie M » June 8th, 2018, 10:37 pm

How the ...... would a volcanic rock make it to London by way of flight ? I know there are volcanic rocks here by way of glacial till , but flying through the air ???

Charlie M

Post by Charlie M » June 8th, 2018, 10:39 pm

I did however see a flying saucer once when my dad and one of his brothers had a vicious fight one time, during Christmas dinner.