Rona Star Night

Subscribe to this topics to get the latest news and announcements
Peter Jedicke
Member Name: Peter Jedicke

Re: Rona Star Night

Post by Peter Jedicke » July 24th, 2015, 6:51 am

Thanks for hosting this event at his home north of London go to Gary H. Even though only a handful of Gary's work colleagues showed up, they seemed to enjoy the views. Gary and Dale Armstrong both set up their vintage 80mm refractors on tripods. Harold T had his portable refractor [see reply below -- sorry Harold], and Mike R a 15cm SCT. Gary's observatory is really quite an amazing facility, with a 20cm SCT under a roll-off roof. Attached to the building is a shed that opens to reveal a 38cm Star Splitter dobsonian which slides out on a track. We used two eyepieces in this scope, one about 8mm and the other about 14mm. Finally, Gary has a honkin' pair of binoculars, with about 120mm aperture on each eye, that he can set up on a concrete pier built for the purpose. Steve G and I arrived to share the evening.

Targets for this evening included the usual list for 2015, starting with Venus and the quarter Moon in twilight. I don't know if anyone spied Jupiter. The Moon was particularly striking at this phase, with all kinds of dramatic shadows along the terminator. Of course, the brightness of the Moon had an effect on the rest of the sky throughout the evening. As dusk deepened, all eyes turned to Saturn. Referring to a dumbphone app, Steve was able to pick out more than the usual array of Saturn's moons, viz. Titan, Rhea, Hyperion, Iapetus, Dione, Tethys and Enceladus. Only Mimas eluded us, lost beside the glare of Saturn's rings. Despite many scattered clouds, there was always a sucker hole somewhere with a nice, transparent sky behind it.

After the visitors left, the rest of us continued on, looking at M101, M81 and M82 in the binoculars. Using the Star Splitter, I kept myself busy with M51, Mu Cephei, WZ Cassiopeiae, M57, M71, M56, M29, NGC7006 and M22.

Gary closed his observatory just before midnight and the rest of us packed up for the night, went to Tim Horton's on Adelaide St and Sunningdale Rd, and chatted for a while longer. It was a relaxing evening under the stars with good camaraderie.
Last edited by Peter Jedicke on July 24th, 2015, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Jedicke, FRASC
London Centre Honorary President (1996-)

"The very idea of the power and the right of the people to establish government presupposes the duty of every individual to obey the established government." (George Washington)

darmstrong
Member Name: Dale Armstrong

Post by darmstrong » July 24th, 2015, 12:45 pm

Here's a few shots from the star party.
Attachments
P1110933.JPG
P1110891.JPG
Searching for Venus through the trees.
P1110897.JPG
Portable telescopes set up to observe the Moon.
Last edited by darmstrong on July 24th, 2015, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harold Tutt
Member Name: Harold Tutt

Post by Harold Tutt » July 24th, 2015, 3:24 pm

Harold T had his portable refractor,
Sorry Peter but I had my 10x50 binoculars at Gary's "Rhona" star party last night as the worm gear of the mount head on the 80 refractor has gone wonky on me. Hope to get it repaired soon.

Harold

Gary Hinks
Member Name: Gary Hinks

Post by Gary Hinks » July 24th, 2015, 4:58 pm

Hi everyone. May I say a big thank you to Peter Jedicke, Harold Tutt, Mike Roffey, Dale Armstrong, and Steve Gauthier for coming out to my star party. I wish I could have had a few more fellow employees here as well, but the ones that were here did enjoy themselves. It was really nice for me to observe with you guys later as well. Thanks again for all you support. Sincerely, Gary Hinks

Robert Duff
Member Name: Robert Duff

Post by Robert Duff » July 26th, 2015, 11:12 am

Hello Gary and Peter,

I am writing a brief report for the RASC National Outreach Event Report (OER) form and updating our statistics.

How many visitors (Rona employees) attended the Rona Star Party?

Thank you very much.

Bob Duff