Shaw's Ice Cream and the partial eclipse

Discuss what the RASC is doing in the community
Mark
Member Name: Mark Pickett

Shaw's Ice Cream and the partial eclipse

Post by Mark » August 14th, 2017, 4:30 pm

I was thinking of going to the Cronyn for the partial eclipse, but they have a lot of members going, so I was wondering if I could do something different. It turned out that Shaw's Ice Cream, midway between St. Thomas and Port Stanley, has a big parking lot facing south, and they get a lot of customers when the weather is nice. The manager was interested in the eclipse, so agreed to have me to set up a telescope for a couple of hours. (The ice cream is very good, too, and I may have some.)

Is anyone going to accompany me?

Mark

Harold Tutt
Member Name: Harold Tutt

Re: Shaw's Ice Cream and the partial eclipse

Post by Harold Tutt » August 14th, 2017, 10:54 pm

I am interested Just haven't made up my mind whether to go to University or Shaws, may even just stay in my front yard.
Have you had any further replies

Harold Tutt

Peter Jedicke
Member Name: Peter Jedicke

Post by Peter Jedicke » August 15th, 2017, 12:14 am

Hi Mark
we appreciate your efforts wherever you decide to help out, but let me just put in a good word for the University. We get a lot of benefit from our connection with them -- almost to where we deserve to be called partners. So having even one additional member there is always good. They expect over 1000 persons if conditions are good, so there will be plenty of work to spread around.

Two of our members will be in Aylmer, next to Balmoral Park. In a perfect world, we could have events in every town or city around us.
Peter Jedicke, FRASC
London Centre Honorary President (1996-)

"Much is too strange to be believed, but nothing is too strange to have happened." (Thomas Hardy)

Mark

Post by Mark » August 15th, 2017, 6:37 am

Hi Peter,

absolutely, the main focus should be on the university, but it appears like the RASC and the physics department are doing a good job already. I thought about joining them, of course, but I wasn't sure I could make the trip. (From home, it takes almost two hours travel, to set up and take down the equipment, for a eclipse that lasts for about two hours) I went to Shaw's for ice cream one night, and I knew that I could do it there too. The crowed will be far smaller, but I think it will be worth it.

Mark

Mark

Post by Mark » August 21st, 2017, 7:43 pm

I was at Shaw's for about 5 hours, and it was wonderful!!!!

I set up my "solar" scope, a Antares 90 mm f11 refractor with Kendrick solar filter (once owner by Jim Kendrick!), with a 55mm TeleVue Plossl, and a Explorer Scientific Twilight 11 mount. I had a piece of cardboard to have as a addition filter to block the stray light, and a chair to sit on. We started by showing the sun with sun spots, and almost every one was amazed at the sight. The part-owner of Shaw's had come along, and put it on Facebook about the eclipse (with my picture), and got busy in a hurry.

From the time we started, until the end, we had perhaps 200 or more, and everyone had a great time. Some people were there at the start, and returned to see it again. We had about 10 or 15 people who didn't watch, but everyone else watched (or tried to watch). The oldest person (91!) was a woman that has seen a total eclipse in Holland a long time ago. The youngest person was about 1 or 2. We were sure that every one about 5 or 6 years old saw the eclipse, but perhaps not the people who were younger. We tried to fit them all. We had a lot of teenagers, a lot of retired people, and everyone else too, in the mix.

The weather was great too, although it was hot, perhaps 28 or so. London perhaps looked cloudy at times, but Shaw's was fine through out, with a breeze at times.

I had a strawberry cone at the end, to celebrate! :D

Everett
Member Name: Everett Clark

Post by Everett » August 21st, 2017, 7:48 pm

Hi Mark,

That's great we had approx 7000 people at western. Thank you for doing that at Shaw's

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Everett Clark
RASC London Secretary (2014-Present)

Norman McCall
Member Name: Norman McCall

Post by Norman McCall » August 24th, 2017, 3:04 pm

Very good Mark. Sounds like you had a great time of outreach!

Norm
The universe is essentially infinite and consists mostly of empty space!