Astronomy on Tap this Friday at 7pn

Find out about RASC star parties
Mike.Hanes
Member Name: Mike Hanes

Astronomy on Tap this Friday at 7pn

Post by Mike.Hanes » June 19th, 2018, 7:47 am

Hi
This is a reminder that the Astronomy on Tap event is this Friday the 22nd at 7:30pm
The event is at the Forked River brewery co on 45 Pacific Ct Unit 16 in London.
There will be two Astronomy talks. Things that go bump in the dark by Professor Sarah Gallagher and Where the Alien Things Are by Professor Stan Metchev.
If the skies are clear please bring your telescopes as we can show the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn and a few of the brighter Messier objects.
Attached is a Map.
Mike Hanes
Attachments
5DD1973E-2D25-4EBE-A2D3-511954CA0623.png
Clear Skies
Mike Hanes

mroffey
Member Name: Mike R

Re: Astronomy on Tap this Friday at 7pn

Post by mroffey » June 19th, 2018, 1:40 pm

Mike, I will plan on attending and bringing a scope.

AndrewPeters
Member Name: AndrewPeters

Post by AndrewPeters » June 19th, 2018, 2:13 pm

Thank you Mike and Mike. I appreciate the support. I plan on bringing my dob as well.

Hoping for clear skies, although it's saying chance of shower at the moment.

I just got an email from FM96 asking if their Summer Cruiser can come and promote the event too, so I'll be sure to mention the NOVA course as well as the other details. Can't hurt.
I still need to clear that the back receiving area is where we'll do the observing, but I suspect it will be fine.

Should any one want to bring their gear early we can securely store it until it's time to set up. Up to you.

If RASC members attend, I'd ask that you park around the back side of the building to permit the public to have the more accessible spots. I've attached a photo, but honestly at that time of night there is plenty of parking around and you should be fine almost anywhere. For those bringing their scopes you can also, with my guidance, park in the star party area to minimise travel with your gear. Grab a hold of me that night and I can show you where.

Thanks everyone!
Attachments
AoT_Parking.jpg

afreeman
Member Name: Anthony Freeman

Post by afreeman » June 20th, 2018, 8:27 pm

I’m planning on attending as well and can bring a scope.

AndrewPeters

Post by AndrewPeters » June 22nd, 2018, 11:58 pm

Thanks so much to all the members that came out to support our Astronomy on Tap event. I believe I counted 14 members, and approximately 70 people at the height of the evening. I think this was very close to maximum for our space. It turned out exactly as I'd hoped which, due to the inclement weather, means that should it have been clear we probably would have been over capacity. The offer of scopes and participation of members was greatly appreciated. I hope we fared decently as hosts.

Should any of the attendees feel like posting comments or suggestions here I'd appreciate it. Otherwise they can PM me or mention it in person at the July meeting.

We are planning on another, bigger event in 2-3 months. Let's hope for clear skies then.

Peter Jedicke
Member Name: Peter Jedicke

Post by Peter Jedicke » June 23rd, 2018, 7:17 am

I'm glad to hear it went well. I hope to help out with the next one
Peter Jedicke, FRASC
London Centre Honorary President (1996-)

"Much is too strange to be believed, but nothing is too strange to have happened." (Thomas Hardy)

afreeman
Member Name: Anthony Freeman

Post by afreeman » June 23rd, 2018, 12:40 pm

This was a really great event and am looking forward to the next one. The guest speakers were really entertaining and I though they did a good job of keeping the material light hearted and accessible to those with a limited understanding of astronomy. Has anyone changed their ring tone to a "chirp" yet? The only suggestion I can think of is to have the projector screen mounted a bit higher, there was a bit of head weaving going on to try to see the screen. The Pale Ale was pretty great also.

afshanmakhani
Member Name: Afsha Makhani

Post by afshanmakhani » June 23rd, 2018, 12:50 pm

Unfortunately for iPhones the instruction is saying you have to put the tube onto iTunes first then on your phone. I haven’t been near a computer since last night to put the ringtone on yet. If someone has quicker solutions who has an iPhone please let me know.
Afsha Makhani

HenryL
Member Name: Henry Leparskas

Post by HenryL » June 23rd, 2018, 1:13 pm

I agree with Anthony that it would be ideal if the screen propped up higher.

AndrewPeters

Post by AndrewPeters » June 23rd, 2018, 2:43 pm

We did try to raise it before the event as the telescopic base didn't go that high. Sorry that it wasn't high enough but that's an easy fix. Thanks for mentioning it. Our plans might involve using a (much) larger space next door and projecting on to a large wall, which should help. Of course, this new space will bring it's own challenges, but hopefully will alleviate that one.